Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Do you know what she did?

Stories can become very sensational, in Dementia Land. The basic story is probably true, but some of the facts have gotten made larger than life. It's fascinating.

Don and I took a very lengthy walk around his neighborhood. You'll recall that he is obsessed with the City having moved that house to its current location while he was in the hospital. Sometimes the hospital stay was a few weeks ago, and sometimes a few years. Sometimes the house they're in now was "free", and he has NO idea how in the world that happened or for how long they'll be able to stay. I never know what he's going to say, but I'm always ready to reassure him that he is safe.

Anyway, on this particular day, I remarked about the tree in their front yard. It really does have personality, and more so now that there are no leaves. We stood in front of the house and considered the tree, and the other trees which line that edge of the property. He got all wound up, suddenly. "Do you see all......  all of that?" he asked, gesturing toward the trees.
"The trees?"
"YES!"
"I do. They're so pretty."
"Well, do you know what she did? What she did when the City.... they wanted to....  they were going to.... but she got her gun!"
"Oh, my gosh, really?"
"Yes, and our daughter was going to be born.... tomorrow. But she was still out there, with her gun, and she wouldn't let them...... she wouldn't let them! So you see those are still there. She told them they didn't need to take them, and she was right."
"She wasn't about to let them take the trees?"
"That's right! And our little baby daughter was just born, and  she sat out here with the baby and with her gun. Every day. Until they gave up."
"Well, then. I guess I better stay on her good side!"
He smiled and nodded.

2 comments:

  1. He must admire her for standing up for her rights, whatever the story may be. That is so interesting. In the midst of his confused mind there is something in that story. You handled that really well - he never even knew he was confused, so he can still feel good about himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I strive for that - thanks for the insight. We went into the house to report on our walk, as usual, and I told her that he had told me that she stood her ground and didn't let the City take their trees. She laughed and agreed that she had certainly done that! I didn't mention the gun. :-) She agreed that they had a newborn at the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting or asking questions here. I will reply to all who request more information.