Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Walking With Don

He likes to act like it's a chore, and a drudgery, to take those walks. His eyes say otherwise. He pulls on his baseball cap, and does his best to get into his jacket without help. I step in at the moment he begins to exhibit frustration.







We go the same route each day. With Dementia it's not so much about variety - it's about safety and familiarity. Some of what I do isn't due to training, but due to watching the results in my treasured charges. Don responds well when we start our walks by observing their yard. This helps me know where he is that day. Is he in the present, knowing he has lived in this house for 50 years, or is he confused and thinking this isn't his house? Knowing that helps me help him. I ask open ended questions. I assume nothing.



We walk to the left, down the hill. The road curves to the left at the bottom of the hill, about 3 houses down. We generally walk 2-3 blocks. Sometimes we encounter neighbors along the way, and Don always calls out to them, cheerfully. Today Rick was working in his yard, pulling up dead plants. Don began speaking to him, but Dementia had the upper hand today, and much of what he said was disconnected and made little sense. The neighbor ignored this, and made a great effort to understand.


 Jim came out of his house to shake both our hands and have a conversation. He encouraged Don and told him "You're doing great". He didn't seem shaken when Don described "felling the trees" and bruising his hips. Don gestured around at the tall pines when he said this. I don't know if Jim had a clue as to what Don was telling him. It's been on Don's mind, lately, that he once fell under a tree and I helped him up. This happened in August.

Often, on our walks, Don is reminded of a story. He launches into it with great excitement. "Do you know where he was born?" he asks me, regarding the owner of one of the homes. Of course I don't, and shake my head. "Well, there are three."
"Three?"
"Next to each other. Three.... um..... next to each other."
"Countries?"
"YES!"
"They're near Russia. But I don't know."
"Ok - like Estonia?"
"Yes, that's one of the three."



Our conversations go like this much of the time. I search my memory banks to fill in his memory blanks. I just made that phrase up. It's clever, right?


Today I was really put to the test. He had LOTS of stories, all with huge blanks. I told his wife it was like reading a book with some words blacked out or pages missing. But he enjoys telling the stories, so much, that he just powers through.




When we started to approach the house, he was visibly tired. I helped him up the front steps, and he said "Thank you for taking me out there." I smiled. He paused, then said "And - thank you for bringing me back. That was even more important." We laughed.






There is a way to regenerate brain cells. Our friend, Michael Colgan, has devoted a great deal of time and money to create a product which will effectively regenerate the brain. If you're worried about memory loss, and want to build the health of your brain, you may wish to look into his product. I endorse it! Highly. Click any of the highlighted links to learn more.

2 comments:

  1. When you do something for someone, like Don, and you know it brings joy, or peace, it is always worth it! I enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many centuries beforе Christ lived, the HeƄгew psalmist expressed feelings wіth ԝhich many recovering addicts can identify: “Вless the LORD, O my soul, andd do not
    forget all his benеfits—who forgives all yоur iniquіtƴ, who hеals all
    youг diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, ѡho сrowns you with steaԁfast love and mercy,
    wɦo satisfieѕ you with good as lօng as you live so
    that your yοuth is renewed like the eagle’s (Psalm 103:2-5).
    Complеte Call of Duty Firѕt Strikе weapon list here shows
    you all weapons іn Call of Dսtty First Striҡe. The pro version will also keep you
    from being seaked out by killstreakѕ.

    Also visit my homepage: Ϲall Of Duty Ghosts Stam Key Generator
    ()

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting or asking questions here. I will reply to all who request more information.