Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My Last Outing With The Colonel

Part One. The story takes place in January, 2011. Almost exactly one year ago. Remembering this story warms and breaks my heart at the same time. I will tell it in several parts, as it is a long story. 


"We won't discuss Thursday. Thursday was one of those days that seemed to have no end and was so full of stress and pressure I felt my temples pounding. There are bound to be days like that, but I will be forever grateful if they're few and far between. Suffice it to say, I was treated as if I were just slightly less than a servant with no brain - ALL DAY. Then came Friday. Friday found the Colonel deeply apologetic over how I was treated on Thursday. With frequent tears, and sincere hand grasps, he expressed sorrow over and over, and really tried to be more pleasant. I don't know what changed between Tuesday and Thursday, but the renewed strength and stamina had all of us amazed. He was able to transfer in and out of his chair, wheelchair, bed, commode... exceptionally well. He ate, drank, talked, and didn't sleep the days away. I guess we will have some "up" days mixed in among the down...
Friday was to be the day Ralph had a dental appointment in the afternoon. Early in the day the dentist's office called to postpone the appointment until Tuesday afternoon this coming week. While disappointed, Ralph understood - the hygenist was ill. The Hospice team sent over a strong male aide who was to help Ralph with his shower. It is no longer safe for one female caregiver to attempt this alone; Ralph is too weak. The young man was from West Africa, and had a delightful French accent. It was decided that he would come on Tuesdays and Thursdays for showers, starting next week, as Ralph's son and I showered him on Thursday night. Ralph needed cash, and we had to decide how that would be handled. Finally Martha suggested that Ralph simply ride in the car with me, and we could go through the drive-through and cash a large check. At about 4:45 in the afternoon we were finally ready to go. The bank is just two short blocks away, so this should be quick and relatively painless. Ralph has a new "lift" chair, so he is able to rise to a standing position with the touch of a button. Very handy, and a source of great delight to him. From the recliner to the wheelchair to the garage to the car we went. I had put his jogging suit over his PJs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting or asking questions here. I will reply to all who request more information.