Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Who Knew? Staples has Home Health Supplies!

I am a caregiver. You knew that. But you didn't know that I'm always thinking of things that can make my clients' lives a little easier - on and off the job.

Today I was searching for something to lift the blankets away from my client's delicate feet. What is available is so flimsy, it makes it impossible for her to make her own bed. I decided a bedside table would work - placed near the end of the bed, under the linens, lifting all away from her feet but remaining firmly in place. Doing a web search, I discovered one available at Staples, of all places, and for a lot less than the medical supply places.

So I decided to browse further, and I found this! One of the most dangerous places in the home, for elderly or infirm people, is the bathroom. When a family caregiver, especially an elderly spouse, assists with bathing, it can be a recipe for disaster. This unit  would allow the easiest transfer ever. Many bathrooms are arranged in the way this picture shows. The couple for whom I am currently working (Don and Ella) have this set-up in their main bathroom. Currently, she is assisting him in the glass-enclosed shower in the second bathroom. I shake my head over this one, and know that one of these days...

My blog on showering an elderly person, a step by step guide, has proven to be the most popular post I've ever done. So I know that caregivers are looking for ways to accomplish this more easily. In that blog, the instruction to have the towels in the dryer and go grab them toward the end of the shower, would apply to someone using a device like the one I linked above, being used by someone of sound mind and strong enough to safely stay put while you go and get the towels. Alternatively, you can have the hot towels wrapped securely together during the shower, and they should stay nicely warm.

I'm not affiliated with Staples, but I thought I would pass along this resource.

Please feel free to contact me with any issues you're having. Sometimes brainstorming can open up solutions you might not otherwise have thought about. You can reach me by cell at 425-802-2763

Family caregivers - I salute you! Stay safe.

1 comment:

  1. I saw the one at Staples. Very creative, Ruth. It was out of stock, but it is made by Monarch, called a snack table. The transfer one is great & Staples has it in stock free shipping. Excellent ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting or asking questions here. I will reply to all who request more information.