Saturday, September 21, 2013

I'm interrupting you....

I was busy cutting up vegetables and getting things ready for the evening meal. Don came into the kitchen with something very specific to say. Problem was; the words eluded him completely. He shook his head - he is still so handsome and is so soft spoken. "I'm interrupting you" he said sadly.
"No!" I shook my head. "I love talking with you!"
"You need to talk to someone who knows what they're talking about."

He left the kitchen.

Words fail the mind that has been assaulted by Dementia. The person is in there, but gets a little bit lost from time to time. Stress about it makes it worse.

If your loved one is exhibiting this kind of behavior, be very calm, matter of fact, and patient. I always just smile, touch an arm and say "Memory is a funny thing. Sometimes the words just refuse to come." And then drop it. Talk about something else.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting or asking questions here. I will reply to all who request more information.