Friday, April 20, 2012

Loving what I do

I sometimes get a little emotional over my work. Especially when I hear reports of elderly abuse or neglect. 


Martha and I were watching the news yesterday, and a report came on regarding a Caregiver who had stomped on the feet of a couple of elderly Dementia clients, and shoved them. My throat immediately felt tight, and anger boiled up. I watched Martha's face. I know she was thinking what I was thinking. Thank God she's safe, and at home.


Is it expensive? Yeah. But she is 100% safe and loved. If anything, she may be over-loved, if that's possible.

We have a great relationship, but sometimes I find it fun to act like I'm her personal servant. I call her "Ma'am" and bow my head as I serve her. She laughs.

I love what I do, even though it is just a small part of my week. I like to tell people that part time I assist elderly clients in their homes, and full time I work hard to help people avoid that kind of care.

Martha listened intently, yesterday, as I counselled another caregiver on how to help her Type 1 Diabetic boyfriend feel better, through nutrition. Martha is free to eat what she wants, when she wants, and prepared how she wants. She refuses my nutritional coaching, but she does eat organic, clean food when I'm on duty, whether she realizes it or not! 



It turned cold and stormy yesterday, so I put Martha's gown into the dryer for 10 minutes before getting her dressed for bed. The happy look of surprise, and "Oh, honey, that's wonderful" were very rewarding. We got up at about 3am this morning for a potty run, and she laughed and said "I was just coordinating a Golf Tournament".  She was gently helped from her bed, to the bathroom, and back again, and then tucked in. No irritation, no chiding, no rush.

Yeah, I love what I do.

1 comment:

  1. Ms Ruth,
    Looking forward to your next update! I feel the same way; every day that I keep Momma home, is another small step in avoiding care that I hope we never have to have. Take care, Arlene

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting or asking questions here. I will reply to all who request more information.