Saturday, October 6, 2012

Hush, now, don't cry

How does the Care Giver stay compassionate and gentle, understanding and sympathetic, but not crumble and fall apart?

This is not an easy thing, and I don't really have an answer for you, but I want to tell you my story.

I am caring for a man far too young to be experiencing the revolt of his body called ALS, or Lou Gehrig's Disease. It's inching forward and stealing his life, one muscle, and one function, at a time. Two of the things this disease has not, and seemingly cannot steal, are his intelligence and his sense of humor.
That video shows the stark reality of what this disease does to the person who has to endure it. I want to do a series of articles on this condition, to help friends of those who have ALS understand a little bit more about what they can do to help them. The person is not the disease. The person is living with it. If you love them, please take the time to learn how you can love them well.

1 comment:

  1. Good video. The family would settle for no more progression of the disease. They would just like to have him around a little longer. I liked the statement, "It is what it is," and then we make the best of it. Wow! I am touched.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting or asking questions here. I will reply to all who request more information.