Friday, April 13, 2012

When Martha Prays

Martha's son died in 1997. He was her firstborn. He, like his father, was a USAF Colonel, and flew those huge jets. He died of a heart attack while still far too young. She confessed, to the caregiver who preceded me, that she had been unable to pray aloud since the death of her beloved son. 


Fast forward to Maundy Thursday at Martha's church. I was honored to accompany her. We brought the wheelchair, and arrived 30 minutes early. the set up was very informal and friendly. 6 - 8 people sat at each round table, and shared plates of food. After the dinner portion, we had Communion, right there at the table. Each person was to pass the Elements and the wine to the next person, and there were words to be repeated. I had to help Martha, due to her severe Arthritis.

Then came the prayer, at the table, holding hands in that circle. My heart skipped for a second, wondering what Martha would do. Would she squeeze my hand, signalling for me to just take my turn? 

It seemed that her turn came quickly. And there, breaking the silence, was her deep and halting voice, praying  a sweet and tender prayer just as bravely as can be. "Dear Heavenly Father..." she began. And my eyes involuntarily welled up with tears. Yes, yes, Dear Heavenly Father.

Martha and I share a great relationship, and it is centered around communicating, and prayer. Each night, after I adjust the pillow "just so" and pull the warm comforter up under her chin, she reaches out from under the blankets with her Arthritis-twisted little hand. "Honey, would you say a prayer, please?" 



"Heavenly Father, thank you for my dear friend, Martha. Thank you for her health, her strength, and her spirit. Please wrap her in Your loving arms tonight. Let her know You are here. Comfort her heart, give her peace, and help her have restful sleep. Thank you for all of your blessings, and for watching over us. In Jesus' name, Amen."


"Thank you honey. Night night!"


"Night night, Martha. Don't hesitate to call."

"Oh, I won't."





What would she do without her Heavenly Father? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting or asking questions here. I will reply to all who request more information.