Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Standing - Not so easy anymore

They're happy for Tuesdays and Fridays. Those are the days I come and spend time at their home, doing chores, cooking, baking, and watching. I watch, and listen, to Don. His decline is alarming. Ella left him for a short time on Tuesday, to attend a funeral. He is no longer comfortable in crowds, as he becomes confused and cannot carry on a conversation. He did stay in the house this time, though.

Ella and I discussed some activities which may help him hang onto memories for a bit longer - like browsing through family photo albums. They did that while I made dinner and did the laundry. I could hear her cheerfully talking about each photo and trying SO HARD not to say "Remember", but failing miserably. It was okay - I could tell he enjoyed the trip down memory lane. It did exhaust him, however, and she encouraged him to go back and take a short nap. I saw her attempting to coach him on how to stand up from the couch. She is still using a cane, and should be using a walker, according to her surgeon, following hip surgery.

I came in and cheerfully said "Oh, this is my department!" I sat down beside him on the couch, and both told, and showed him, how to scoot his bottom up to the edge of the couch to prepare to stand. He cooperated, but was a little bit confused. So I deployed the elbow grabbing method to help him stand. I reach out with my right hand toward their left hand. I grasp behind their elbow and have them grasp behind mine. With him in the correct position, with "nose over toes", we rise without a problem. Stand and get the bearings for a moment...



As we walked toward the hall I told him that he might be needing help sometimes, as he is getting weaker. "You're proud", I said. He nodded, sadly. "But pride goes before a fall." That brought a laugh.

He told Ella that I didn't want him taking a nap while I was there. That was so cute, and so tender. He lies a little bit, and I don't think it's completely unintentional! Off to the nap he went, none the less, and Ella and I got to have almost a solid hour to just talk. This is hard.

One thing Teepa Snow says, in her training for caregivers of those with Dementia, is that you should confess that to the person. "Honey, this is hard." Give them permission to also admit it IS hard. And then let your love give you enough strength to do it anyway.




9 comments:

  1. Love your caregiving stories Ruth. Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear that he seems to be sliding downhill so rapidly :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a hard job.. making people in that state feel comfortable, i commend you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This became very apparent just yesterday. I'm visiting friends and my friend and former colleague( the former director of visiting nurses in Brooklyn and Queens). My friend quit her job several years ago to care for her mother and for many years did not have help in doing so. Her mother is now 92 and lucid, however, she has compression fractures in addition to some cardiac issues. If it were not for "Pat" my friend and I would not have been able to spend some time together. It does take a special person to care for these people. Although I'm a nurse, I specifically telling my sister that I would work as hard I possible to have someone else care for our parents if that was ever necessary. It's not that I didn't love my parents, it was because I DID! I knew that my personality and expertise was in other areas. Their care needed to be given by the special people who know exactly what is needed. Congratulations... I applaud you for being a special person!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire people in your field. It's not everyone that have the compassion and caring nature to take care of the elderly (specially someone that has dementia) so I thank you for what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have so much compassion for what you do! It's about going back to the state of a child, only in reverse order. It is sweet and innocent and times as miserable as when we went through our terrible twos! I really would like all people to look at an elderly person with the respect for their wise experience that has brought this far in the journey of life and give them the same patience as a small child! I look forward to living past 100!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My best friend use to work in this field. It is so great to hear about individuals who have the spirit to care for others! We need more people that you in this world! You are doing a great things and I commend you for your dedication!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is so close to home I could hardly read it without crying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a wonderful story and brings back memories of my own dear mother. Could not help but smile with a tear in my eye. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy to see such compassion in your post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting or asking questions here. I will reply to all who request more information.