Tuesday, April 1, 2014

"Come on, Cindy!"

I brought them a small order of Fettuccini Alfredo from Panera Bread, for their lunch. It came with wonderful crusty French Bread.

Don was very quiet, and seemed distant, sitting in his chair in the family room. We called him several times to come in for lunch. I wondered if she had told him about my resignation. Finally, he walked into the dining room.


He knows, and remembers, that we are thinking of the day we can move from Sultan, closer to access to my business team. He's been thinking about this a lot. While Ella washed her hands, Don took me to the sliding glass door. He pointed to the neighbor's house below. "See that house? That's our neighbor. He isn't there very much. Sometimes he's gone for a week, then just comes back for one day. Sometimes he is there two days, mows his lawn, cleans up a little, and then he's gone for two weeks. Do you know what Ella and I think?"
"No...."
"Well.... we think maybe he can buy your house!"
I know this means that he thinks David and I can buy this neighbor's house.
"Ah, I get it! You just want cinnamon rolls and coffee every morning!" He smiles, and nods. His smile is huge. By now, Ella is back. I turned to her and explained that Don was plotting to have us buy the neighbor's house so he can have fresh cinnamon rolls every day.
"Let's go ask him", Don suggests. I can imagine what the thought of this means to Don. Someone he knows and trusts to keep him safe, living right there.


But it was time for lunch. I dished up the portions, after they sat down. Don promptly offered me his portion of the lunch. He always does this. He did get me to eat half of his French bread. Lunch was very enjoyable. We chatted about our weeks. I was surprised, at the end of lunch, when Ella immediately suggested that we go for a walk. I said "I guess we can take a walk before I get into my 'Cinderella' stuff " (She has me cleaning house far more than I caregive)  He cheerfully reached for his shoes and said, "Come on, Cindy!"

He apologized for needing his cane today, but he really did need it. Still, we took a nice, long walk. As soon as we leave the house, he starts talking. He tells me everything about everyone in the neighborhood. Today, as most days, he occasionally lost a word he wanted to say. But mostly he did just fine, and gave me the insider info on everyone. "She goes to work at about four. Her husband comes home at six..."  I love that. He wants all of the neighbors to wave and talk with him. He's highly offended if they ignore us. I know these outings are his freedom, and of course my heart hurts knowing there are only three more. With me. Can anyone else do this? My ego wants to think not.


He had an obsession with the recycle bin today. There was a newspaper he was sure I needed. "Don't take the.....  the things. Don't take them out."

While I was cleaning, he went outside and completed his mission.

He came in, triumphant, holding two, a bit worse for the wear, newspapers. He had gone outside saying "I'll be back in a minute". He knew Ella didn't want him rummaging around in the recycle bin. We talked about the horror of the Oso mudslide. He is convinced I live near there, and must know someone involved.


 Ella had tea brewed for us. I'd brought a cinnamon roll from Panera Bread, and Ella had me cut it into thirds. You must know, of course, that between all of this I vacuumed, mopped, dusted, did laundry, cleaned bathrooms, and stripped and re-made the bed! Anyway, we enjoyed tea and the roll and discussed the day. Afterward, I showed Ella how to search for caregivers online, at Care.com. This is very sad for me, but it really makes sense.

The day ended, as it always does, with hugs and admonitions to drive safely. We'll see you next week.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting or asking questions here. I will reply to all who request more information.