Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Spider Bite and Miracle Sponge

Don is driven to work in his immaculate yard. He is a bit weaker than he was before the stroke, but he's always puttering around in the yard.  The other day, while in the shed, he put on a pair of gloves that evidently had become a spider's home. He was bitten. He didn't say anything at the time, but he told his wife that it had happened, as he came up for lunch. He was quick to add "I found something to put on it." She became greatly concerned. "What did you put on it, honey?" She asked him numerous times, but he could not bring to his mind what it was.

Finally he went back to the shed to bring back what he had put on his bite and show it to us. To Ella's horror he was carrying a can of Easy Off oven cleaner.She reacted rather vocally to this, but he was confused as to what the fuss was about. He brought the can to her and started to read it for her. "You see," he said, "it says right here that it is SAFE for..... self-cleaning ovens." He trailed off and looked sheepish. "Honey," she said, "YOU are not a self-cleaning oven!" He did have a point, though. The bite looked a lot better.

Fast forward to near the end of my shift when I was wrapping things up for the day. I had used a 'Magic Eraser' on the old counters in their kitchen around the gas range top. It took off layers of years and years of accumulated residue and the counter tops looked brand new. I brought Don into the kitchen to show him. He was SO impressed. He asked me to show him what I used. When I did, this is what he said:
"Well! If you ever get a spider bite...."  And we both had a great and hearty laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting or asking questions here. I will reply to all who request more information.